Monday, June 1, 2009

Shouldn't I Be Asleep?

The hard part is done, isn't it? I should be dreaming sweet dreams of not having to limit our guest list so dramatically, or, gasp, just getting some rest for once and not being stressed out. But alas, now it feels real, and I feel behind. My goal is to catch up on the planning this weekend when Janell is here, but since the current plan is for her to take the train from Midway, get off at Lake Street and join me for drinks on the roof of the new venue, I have a feeling Saturday morning isn't going to be an early one.

Not to mention, that the list of things to do with Janell is actually comprised of things I WANT to do, not necessarily need to do. I can't tell you how excited I am to actually go into the stores on Division and up Damen and actually have good intentions of buying something! Through Janell's tall, perfect body, I plan to live vicariously as she tries on every possible frock at Le Dress and Intermix (probably before heading to Nordstrom and finding something affordable).

For me, wedding dress shopping was not as enjoyable as it should have (or even could have) been. For one, I waited too long. So each store I went into, the women had more and more dramatic looks on their faces as they parroted back to me with shock, awe and disgust, "August? Of THIS year?" Yeah, yeah, yeah, ever heard of a rush fee? Just bring me some dresses. Or do you really not want my money? Some places, they actually said no, they didn't want my money because there was no way they could get a dress in 4 months. Secondarily, for someone who knew engagement was impending for a few months, you'd think I could have made just the slightest effort to go to the gym, even WALK BY the gym? But no, instead, I fill my time seeing how fast Jimmy John's can get to my house or unable to decide which lunch option I should choose and ending up with both.

So, after one semi-successful day trying on all sorts of wedding dresses at All About the Dress (owned by an old friend from my restaurant days who admitted my timing would be tough, but who I trusted implicitly that we'd pull it off), I came to the conclusion that a lace up back was the way to go to really strap me in there and pull off a waist. Unable to settle on exactly which one, I, of course, procrastinated beyond the point of being able to get it in time. Luckily, I was not AT ALL opposed to buying a pre-owned dress and spent plenty of hours scouring www.encorebridal.com, www.preownedweddingdresses.com, www.oncewed.com for styles I liked. It's amazing how many dresses are out there for sale - and some are an amazing deal. On the flipside though, I'm also amazed at how many dresses there are that have been worn and are still on the market for over $3000!

Other than the fact that I actually found a pre-owned, but never worn (2 dress bride) gown that I now have in my hot little hands, I did get a kick out of a few other things about searching for a dress this way.
  1. People say things like "only worn once." I do realize that they could be trying to differentiate from that gown that has been passed around to 3 sisters or something, but the idea that a dress basically invented to only be worn once should be considered as valuable as it was when the bride bought it the first time because she happened to only have worn it on one 8-10 hour day where she ate, drank, sweat, danced and dragged it all over the floor amuses me.
  2. As a selling point, these girl's mention, "Everyone told me it was the most gorgeous gown they've ever seen." Hmmmm, I'm sure your dress is fabulously beautiful to you and to your family and maybe even to some other folks. And I'm sure you looked close to the most beautiful you may ever look in your life (hopefully because you were glowing with happiness), but ladies... does becoming a bride actually make you impervious to the fact that people are going to be polite and compliment you on an item that you hand selected for this special event, perhaps at the expense of 100% honesty? Have you EVER told someone their dress was pretty, when it just wasn't? Or that the chicken with white sauce you tried to eat, but realized your efforts were better focused on the table wine, was the best meal you've ever had? I'm not saying it's wrong to make those statements OR, really that it's wrong to believe them if it makes you feel better. I just don't think that it serves as the most valid testimonial when trying to sell me a $2000 dress that has "some light staining in the armpit area and a few missing buttons."
Anyway, the point of this post wasn't to bash on other happy brides trying to unload their poofy dresses. It was to comment on the fact that as soon as we decided to change venues from Mrs. Murphy & Sons Irish Bistro to The Wit Hotel, the ONE thing I'd actually checked off my list on time (getting a dress) is now up in the air because now that I have the perfect venue, settling for something 50% off that fit? Well, it just won't do.

Nothing against Maggie Sottero, I love the way my under-exercised body looks in the dress hanging from my closet door, but doesn't anyone want to sell one of these tea-length wedding dresses? I KNOW I can't afford a new one, but I'm in the mood for somebody's sloppy seconds when it comes to Stephanie James' dresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment