Sunday, May 31, 2009

I Feel Exclusive

I'm the type of girl who actually has to wait in line AND pay to get into the coolest new club in LA. I'm not skinny or hot enough and I don't know the right people. So, over the years, I've developed an attitude akin to "Who needs those silly, overpriced clubs anyway? They're too dark, too loud and nobody even talks to each other! I'll take a game of darts at a pub anyday." But who doesn't like to get fancied up every once in awhile and feel G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S? I know I do.

I think that's why I'm so excited about our new venue. The Wit's Roof has all the style and trendiness of those LA hotel rooftop bars where people wear swim suits but the pool is completely empty (yes, I'm talking to you downtown Standard) - but, without all the pretension. Yes, I realize that I'm paying to gain access to this exclusive venue and that because it's my wedding I'll feel like the Queen Bee no matter what, but there is something to be said about how Chicago does cool compared to LA's cool. Well, it's just... cooler. And friendlier. And more inviting.

The first time we stopped by, we'd been out and about all day. I was a sweaty mess who was dressed for walking - not lounging on the roof top deck of Chicago's newest urban oasis. I'd asked the man to make sure he wore something cool - although neither of us really knew what that meant in the realm of his wardrobe. And then proceeded to criticize his shaving skills. It was as if I thought Laura would take one look at us and be like "you dorks, we're full, try the inn next door." But you know what, she didn't do that. And considering in the 30 minutes we spent touring the hotel with her, no less than 4 people stopped her to ask about having an event there, I get the feeling she could have if she wanted to. Instead, she asked us all sorts of questions about what WE wanted. Not what they wanted to give us for what price, but what WE thought would make our wedding special. And no more than 30 minutes after leaving the hotel were we delivered a mouth-watering menu with the things we asked for (Martini Bar for Adam) and things we didn't even mention that were right up our alley (my dad's namesake Margaritas and coincidentally his favorite pasta dish -- and the one thing he'd cook for us other than awesome crunchy pancakes growing up -- Tortollini Carbonara...mmm, bacon, peas and cream sauce).

Short story long, I think it's awesome that I was so against a hotel wedding for so long thinking they were all cookie-cutter. Because if I would have been into the idea back in January, The Wit wouldn't have been an option.

1 comment:

  1. Your G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S comment caused me to chuckle. I am reminded of Christmas vacation when you and Avie could not get the “glamorous” song out of your heads. As a beautiful bride, will I hear that song again at the wedding?

    ReplyDelete