Thursday, July 2, 2009

Yay - we have a florist!

I'm so relieved to have found a Florist/Designer extraordinaire. One of my biggest worries throughout this whole process is my complete lack of style. For some reason, even though I think I can tell what looks nice on other people or in other places, when it comes to myself, I end up going overboard (think: TOO matchy-matchy) or get so frustrated that I'm just completely plain. I really wanted to incorporate the colors I love, without going crazy. Elaine has done such a great job of making sure I don't do that. She's really playing up the clean, minamilist design of the space with a few elegant pieces and a bit of color on the tables throughout.

When my friend Theresa got married, I remember walking into her house the night before the wedding to an abundance of gorgeous flowers all over the place. They were putting some of the finishing touches on the bouquets and centerpieces and everything looked wonderful. For being someone who is relatively anti-flower due to allergies, the feeling that they'll just die and having been de-sensitized by an ex who just sent them ALL THE TIME to the point that it was annoying - she made me a believer. Now, it was a no-brainer for me to look up Elaine for my own wedding. Lucky for me, she was available. Her company is called Bella Flora and she's worked in interior design as well as having done a lot of work for the big name florists around time like Botanicals and Heffernen Morgan. But, the personalized service she's providing me is really helping fill some holes normally taken care of by either a wedding planner or a designer (neither of which I have). So, from pinning back the drapes in the Wilde Ballroom for a spectacular view of Marina Towers and the river, to purchasing and pinning a luxurious runner that complements the colors of the room and the modern chairs and directing people once they arrive up on the roof after the ceremony, I am so happy to have that extra set of hands.

3 comments:

  1. I’ve spent the last hour or so reading your blog AND have enjoyed it!! I feel as if I have been reading a novel that I don’t want to put down. Keep the thoughts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. michele
    Do you know grandpa actually has a whole vase of peacock feathers on his entertainment center
    just a thought!
    I've been sharing the wedding website..blog with Mark who just arrived in Traverse City.
    Love you enjoy these exciting times....I bought a cobalt blue dress for the wedding months ago....oh well you ladies have great taste as that is my favorite color BUT I now get to get ANOTHER new dress ;>)))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really the MOB on her sisters computer in Detroit. So Finally a time to sit down and not be working and time to catch up on your blog. Lots to be learned there. Mona, Jim and Pat are going on a bike (motorcycle) ride this afternoon. think I'll check out some stores. Macy's not far away and I'll search a Nordstroms. Actually Margaret went to our "dress shop" in Princeton and saw a dress she thinks I'll like. I was going to go check it out before I left for Det. but didn't get a chance... she's going to go buy it for me as they are having a big sale it it might be gone by the time I get back. I can always do the return.

    ReplyDelete